Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Websites Don't Work Sitting Down

In my last post I gave a tip called "Don't Let Your Site Sit." I'd like to press this point a little more.  Before I begin, I should let you know that this is something that I am still working on with my site.  One of my steps towards a more active website is this blog, posting on Facebook and tweeting.

Some website owners do a lot of ground work before building their website: gathering and writing the content for their website; hiring SEO companies to optimize their website, and employing marketers to advertise their website.  All this work and their website begins to gain visitors.  Every website owner hopes for this type of progress. 

Then, the website sits, maybe gains a little weight.  During this process, the visitors either stay the same or begin tapering off. All this is a bit confusing because of all the work that was put into the website.  The issue that is arising is that the website is getting sleepy and boring.  The content remains the same so search engines don't need to index as regularly.  Visitors don't need to check back to see new products, or hot tips or to even find out what is going on with the company because nothing new is available.

This is where my suggestion to not let your site sit comes in.  Keep your site active, make it work a little.  Slim down and trim up the excess fat and unnecessary code.  Exercise the site's content and know what makes the site do better or what makes the site run smoother.  Constantly check-up to make sure the entire site is functioning properly and that there are no broken links, missing images, or misaligned pages or elements. A happy healthy website will reflect to your customers.

No comments:

Post a Comment